Page ‘2 nt
|1. a) (i) Define “computer storage” (ii),What is register?
(Hi) Explain three (3) types of register
|(2 marks) (2 marks) (6 marks)|
- b) (i) Kilobyte (KB), Megabyte (MB), Gigabyte (GB), Terabyte (TB), and Petabyte (PB) are used to
represent various units of measurement capacities in computer storage. Write down the
|relationship between these units of measurement.
(ii) Give two requirements of a Data Protection Act.
|(5 marks) (2 marks)|
(iii) The Data Protection Act of 1998 contains eight basic rules or principles. Give three Organizations or types of data that are exempted from the Data Protection act. (3 marks)
|2. a) (i) What is a computer port?
(ii) Briefly describe and give the function of three computer ports.
b) (i) What are the four categories of operating system functions?
(ii) What are the two basic types of user interfaces in an operating system?
(iii) Differentiate between the two interfaces in b (ii) above, giving an example in each case.
|fl||S/N||NAME||TESTI||TEST 2||TEST 3||TEST 4||TOTAL|
|3||2||Asumta Yaya||34||10 ‘||34||11|
(i) Use the SUM spreadsheet Function and write the formula in cell G2, which will be calculate
the total for the test for each student. .(2 marks)
(ii) Use the AVERAGE spreadsheet Function and write the formula in cell C11, which will calculate the
average of test 1.. (2 marks)
Page t ,
- Computer users may suffer from a range of health problems known as work — related
disorders. Name three work — related disorders. (3 marks)
- Give the causes of lower back pain. (2 marks)
- State four methods of preventing lower back pain (4 marks)
- b) (i) What is the difference between computer science and information and communication
technology (ICT) (2 marks)
- List three specialist ICT jobs and explain what these jobs entail. (6 marks)
- Explain how ICT is employed in education (3 marks)
- a) (i) Explain the difference between a track and a sector, using a diagram. (3 marks)
- Explain the term “data integrity” and when is data said to have integrity? (3 marks)
- Name four ways that cause data to loss integrity. (4 marks)
- b) Define the following terms as used in data bases.
- Form (4 marks)
- c) (i) A company has decided to computerize its manual sales system. Describe two tasks to be done
at the analysis stage. (2 marks)
- Give two tasks to be done at the design stage. (2 marks))
- Describe two tasks to be done at the implementation stage. (2 marks)
- a) (i) What do you understand by a computer network? (2 marks)
- State two types of networks based on geographical coverage. (2 marks)
- Give four examples of wireless communication media. (2 marks)
- What are intemet services? (1 mark)
- What is on — line commerce (e-commerce)? (2 marks)_
- Give one advantage and one disadvantage of on — line commerce. (2 marks)
b)• (i) What do you understand by coding of information in computers? (2 marks)
Assume that a coding scheme uses 8-bit binary codes to represent letters of the alphabet as shown below.
Page ,f 4 \
- Observe the trend in the allocation of codes and determine the binary code that this coding
scheme will use to represent the letter L. explain your answer. (3 marks)
- Using this coding scheme, write the decimal code for the letter E. (2 marks)
- Determine the letter which has a decimal code of 66. (4 marks)
- Computers use System and Application software’s to function.
- a) With the help of examples, explain:
- Application software
- System software (4 marks)
- b) (i) Give two differences between high level languages and low level languages. (4 marks)
(ii) Describe one diagram that can be used by a system analyst when producing system
documentation. (4 marks)
(iii) Give three advantages of buying a software package rather than writing a program(3 marks) liv) Describe two benefits of using top-down design to develop computer software’s. (2 inark:;)
- c) Give two examples of utility programs and state their uses. (3 marks)
|7. In computing, the output depends on the program used and the file structure.
a) List any FOUR forms of output and the hardware used in each case.
b) List TWO file extensions for any of the output forms
c) Explain briefly FOUR security threats to a file.
d) Write out in full. CRT, VDU, OMR, DVD
|(8 marks) (4 marks) (4 marks) (4 marks) _|