Upper Sixth Science: Super Mock Biology Answer four questions, each on a separate sheet of paper.
1) Describe the process of male gamete formation and fertilization in
- A mammal and
- A flowering plant. (1 0, 1 °marks)
2) a) Give an account of the structure and functions of the following cell organelles :
(I) Rough endoplasmic reticulum (ii) Cilia ( iii)Chloroplast.
- b) Using specific examples, describe five mechanisms by which substances move in
and out of cells (10,10marks)
3) a) What are the function of the human skeletal system?
- b) Using suitable examples describe the three types of skeletons found in animals..
- c) (i) Draw a large neatly labeled diagram to show the detail structure of the a skeletal muscle.
(ii) Describe the Rachet mechanism (sliding filament model) of muscle contraction
4 a) What is a hormone?
- What are the mechanisms that control the release of hormones by the endocrine glands?
- Describe the mechanism of synaptic transmission
- State the differences between impulse transmission across the synapse and impulse
transmission along a neuron ( 3,3,10,4 marks)
5 (a) Define cellular respiration
(b) Cellular respiration involves anaerobic and aerobic processes. List these processes indicating which is which?
(c) With the aid of a flow diagram only outline the biochemical pathways which energy is
released from a glucose molecule in aerobes. (2,5,13marks)
6) Explain how carbon fixation is carried out in:
(i) C3 plants (ii) C4 plants and (iii) CAM plants. (5,5,4marks)
- b) What is: i) Photorespiration ? ii)-Phosphorylation? (3,3marks)