Cameroon GCE A/L June 2015 Literature in English 2
SECTION A – DRAMA
ROBERT BOLT: A man for All Seasons
- A Man for All Seasons demonstrates the conflict between absolute authority and individual freedom. Discuss.
- Much of the dramatic excitement in A Man of All Seasons depends on the use of costumes, sounds, actions and stage props. Comment.
WHOLE SOYINKA: The Trials of Brother Jero
- The Traits of Brother Jero is interesting to read due to Soyinka’s effective use of suspense. Discuss the validity of this statement
- Write short notes on any three of the following: (a) Amope (b) The Drummer Boy (c) The Beach (d) The Old Prophet (e) Hypocrisy.
ERNEST HEMINGWAY: The Old Man and the sea
- “Nature and man in harmony.” To what extend does this statement reflect Hemingway’s concerns in The Old Man and the Sea?
- What makes Santiago a legendary figure in The Old Man and the Sea?
BESSIE HEAD: A question of Power
- How true is the religious saying that, “weeping many in the night but joy comes in the morning” to Elizabeth’s experiences in Bessie Head’s A Question of Power?
- Discuss the use of allusions in A Question of Power?
LINUS ASONG: No Way to Die
- “it is women not men who make things happen In Asong’s No Way to Die.” To what extend is the true?
- Discuss Asong’s use of coincidences in No Way to Die.
GEOFFERY CHAUCER: The General Prologue and The Pardoner’s Prologue and Tale
- Discuss Chacer’s use of imagery in The General Prologue and The Pardoner’s Prologue and Tale
- With close reference to any four instances drawn from The General Prologue and The Pardoner’s Prologue and Tale, discuss the impact of drinking on the medieval society.
WILLIAM BLAKE: Selected Poems
- Using any three or four poems of your choice, explain how Blake develops the themes of liberty and freedom, sexual repression and duality
- Write a critical appreciation of Blake’s “The Book of Thel”, paying attention to subject matter, style and total impression.
WHOLE SOYINKA (ed): Poem of black Africa
- With reference to any three poems from the selection show how Africa poets paint a negative picture of their metropolis
- The Africa poet draws inspiration from myths and legends of his culture. Discuss the relevant of this statement with reference to any three poems