Candidates are required to answer FOUR questions, choosing at least one question from each section.
Each essay question shall be marked according to the following criteria:
– Coherence and organization of material;
Clear presentation of the problematic;
– Identification of the Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis and Conclusion.
Each question carries 25 marks.
You are reminded of the necessity for good English and orderly presentation in your answers.
SECTION ONE: WESTERN PHILOSOPHY
1. Were the Sophists philosophers? (25 marks)
2. “All thinking is a way of doing something” Justify this pragmatic view in Peirce’s Philosophy (25 marks)
SECTION TWO: AFRICAN PHILOSOPHY
3. The defence for the non-existence of witchcraft is problematic. Discuss. (25 marks)
4. Consciencism is illusory. Justify the tenability of this assertion. (25 marks)
SECTION THREE: PHILOSOPHICAL PROBLEMS
5. Is abortion morally justifiable? (25 marks)
6. Can one attribute man’s calamities to God? (25 marks)