Research work on automatic speech recognition (ASR) has intensified since the beginning of the 2I5t Century. Emerging technologies are on the way to increase the quality of interaction between computer users and the machine.
(a) What is automatic speech recognition? (2 marks)
(b) State two advantages and one limitation of speech recognition. (3 marks)
(ii) Explain briefly the use of the following input technologies and cite a situation in which each can be
- Magnetic strip. (2 marks)
- Magnetic ink character recognition. (2 marks)
- (2 marks)
(iii) (a) Differentiate between data validation and data verification. (2 marks)
(b) Give the meaning of proof reading and double entry. (2 marks)
(c) Describe a situation or application that uses the double entry method. (2 marks)
- (i) Give the full meaning of the following and state an application for each:
(a) LIFO (2 marks)
(b) FIFO (2 marks)
(ii) (a) What is a source code? (2 marks)
(b) Give a reason why some programming languages are classified as high level
programming languages. (1 mark)
(c) State two ways in which,you can represent an algorithm. (2 marks)
(d) Describe one way in which algorithms can be compared. (1 mark)
(iii) (a) What is artificial intelligence? Explain one application of artificial intelligence in an
industry. (3 marks)
(b) What is Computer Aided Design?
Name one professional who uses CAD and describe to what extent it is useful to him. (4 marks)
|3. (i) Define the following terms:
(a) Relational database.
.(b) Database Management Systems.
(c) Redundancy in databases.
(ii) Give three advantages and two disadvantages of a DBMS.
|(2 marks) (2 marks) (2 marks)
- Propose two domains of application for each of the following systems:
- Geographic Information System. (2 marks)
- Reservation system. (2 marks)
- Expert system. (2 marks)
- (i) Give the main function of the following hardware in a computer system.
- Video card
- RAM chip
- Ethernet card
(ii) Define the following terms:
- File compression
(iii) (a) What is ergonomics?
Give two advice you will give to a secretary typist who is suffering from back pain and eyes strain.
(b) Give two advantages of LCD monitors over CRT monitors.
- (i) A machine cycle consists of a series of operations performed to run a single program instruction
— fetch, decode and execute the instruction, and return the result to the RAM if necessary.
- What is the meaning of RAM? Give the main function of the (3 marks)
- Explain the process of fetch, decode and execute in the machine cycle. (3 marks)
|(ii) Describe the following:
(a) Word size
(c) ASCII code
(iii) Name five components of the CPU and briefly describe the function of each;
|(6 marks) (5 marks)|
- (i) Define the following web terminologies and give an example of each.
- Web page.
- Search engine.
- (6 marks)
(ii) (a) Give three impacts of computer virus to educational institutions.
- Suggest two measures that can be taken by a school secretary to protect the computer from being infected by computer viruses.
- Give two effects of a virus to a computer system. (7 marks)
(iii) (a) What do you understand by the term multimedia? (1 mark)
(b) Give three ways in which the installation of multimedia centers in schools in Cameroon
would affect both teachers and students? (3 marks)
|7. (i) Define the following terms:
(a) Computer ethics.
(ii) Give the difference between:
(a) Copy-Paste action and Cut-Paste action.
(b) Word Art and Clip Art.
(iii) Complete the table below by stating the most appropriate type of software or program that can be used
for the stated tasks.
|Task||Type of software|
|a||Conversion of data to charts|
|b||Calculation of areas of a figure in which the user supplies the required inputs, and the software generates the output.|
|c||To present information on the activities of an organization to the board of directors during a seminar.|
|d||Create, manipulate and format text, images and tables for publicity.|
(iv) Give the difference between the following pairs of transmission modes:
- Parallel and serial.
- Simplex and full-duplex.
- Synchronous and asynchronous. (6 marks)
(ii) (a) What is fault tolerance? (2 marks)
- What device can–be used to amplify network signals to cover a long distance? (1 mark)
- Complete the table below by giving the reason for each of the aspects of network topology.
|1||Signal collision is not common in a ring.|
|2||Mesh offers the greatest fault tolerance.|
|3||Security is more assured in a star than in a bus.|
|4||A ring offers less fault tolerance than star.|
(iii) Give the full meaning of each of the following file formats and state the purposes for which they
- .MPEG (4 marks)
|9. (i) Evaluate the following, where binary numbers are absolute values:
(a). 3410 to binary
(b) 101101012— 111112
(c) 1011012 x 1012
- Sketch the diagram above and insert the missing phases. (4 marks)
- In the analysis phase of the SDLC, different tools are.available to assist the system analyst
and end users. Name and explain any two of the took used. (4 marks)
(iii) Give two reasons why:
- the operating system is often installed before any other software.
- people prefer working with graphical user interface than command line interface. (4 marks)