1. Introduction to science
1.1 definition of science
Science is knowledge arranged in an orderly manner. This knowledge is acquired through observation and experiment of the nature and behaviour of natural things. Nature refers to everything around us.
1.2 Branches of science and scientist
The branches of science (also referred to as scientific fields or scientific disciplines) include:
1) The physical sciences: physics, chemistry and astronomy.
2) The earth sciences: geology, oceanography and metrology. ()
3) The life sciences (biology): botany, genetic and zoology. (medicine)
4) Social sciences: economics, psychology and political science.
5) Mathematical sciences: applied mathematics.
A scientist is a person who studied science and contributed to its development. The table below shows some scientists and their achievements (contributions)
Scientist and Achievement
Michael Faraday Research on Electricity and magnetism
Victor Anoma Ngu Research on cancer and HIV
Dimitri Ivanovich Mendeleev, He formulated the periodic law
Sir Isaac Newton He formulated the classical mechanics laws
a) Out of those mentioned above, list three scientists and their contributions.
b) What is the name of the vaccine discovered by Prof. Victor Anoma Ngu.